-Rental properties are a valuable financial investment for property owners and home to tenants and their families. It’s well worth the extra effort to include inspections for water damage in the regular property inspections and SERVPRO of Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande has prepared a report of tips to help property owners identify and repair leaks and other water issues before water damage sets in.
It’s common for lease and rental agreements to include an annual walk-through inspection of both the exterior and interior of rental property. This applies to both residential and commercial rentals. Adding a check list for leaks, water stains, standing water and other signs of potential water damage, including the presence of mold, can be a true example of that old adage, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
The areas to inspect include:
- Check for leaking pipes. A small, slow leak can cause damage over time. A pipe or fitting that is leaking and not repaired is also a risk for bursting and flooding a room or more.
- Check hoses and connections in the laundry room, on appliances, and connections to the toilets.
- Check around the shower and bathtub for signs of leaks.
- Water leaves stains so look for stains on the ceilings and walls, especially near the floor or where the wall meets the ceiling. Water travels the path of least resistance which means that a leak in one spot of the roof might show up as a stain in another location on the ceiling or wall. The water damage team serving Arroyo Grande recommends hiring a professional to find the sources of roof leaks.
- Buckled and cracked wood on the floors, on window and door trim, and on cabinets could be a sign of water damage.
- Check for standing water around the foundation of buildings. Landscape watering can be a contributor to water damage when the water hits the side of the building or doesn’t drain properly.
- A musty, unpleasant smell inside can indicate the presence of mold, which is closely associated with water damage.
And finally, it’s a good idea to inspect the roof for leaks and damage periodically, especially after a storm. Strong winds can loosen shingles and siding and rain can get into the structure. It’s worth checking for storm damage to window and door frames. Also examine for any damage that may have been caused by broken branches or fallen trees.
Finding leaks and areas with even slight water damage is one thing. The next important step is to make necessary repairs as soon as possible to prevent further damage.
SERVPRO of Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande is a local company helping business owners and residents of California’s Five Cities area recover from water, mold and fire damage as providing a wide range of cleaning services. Owner, Mark Powers, and the leadership team grew up and are raising their families in the community and are invested in the success of every local family and business. The water damage company serving Arroyo Grande can handle any size disaster and is available to respond 24 hours a day, seven days a week. to help with any emergency you might have. The company specializes in Water Damage, Fire Damage, Mold Remediation, Trauma / Crime Scene Clean up, Disaster Clean Up, and Storm Response.
SERVPRO of Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande
1131 Pike Lane Suite 9
Oceano, CA 93445