mold damage San Luis Obispo

‘What’s that smell?’ Tips for identifying and removing household odors from SERVPRO of San Luis Obispo

-A number of things contribute to odd smells in a home, including cooking odors, a dusty mustiness when a room has been closed up for too long and left over odors from spills. When a good cleaning and opening the doors and windows for fresh air don’t get rid of the odors, the mold damage team from SERVPRO of San Luis Obispo has some tips to help.

Some of the most common odors in a home include:

  • Odors from cooking and spills
  • Stale air when rooms have been closed up with no fresh air circulation
  • A dusty smell when first turning on the heat after a long summer
  • Smells that invade the home from outside such as smoke for a fire or grill, a skunk and other animal odors that come with ranch and farm living
  • A musty smell from dampness, mold or mildew, rodents or critters living under the house
  • Pet odors including accidents and the cat box
  • Odors from illness or a serious injury in the home
  • Odors from water damage or toilet overflow

Some odors might be signs of serious problems, such as a rotten egg smell or the odor of something burning or “fishy” smell.

  • A rotten egg smell means there may be gas leak. Leave the house and call 911 to have the gas leak investigated. If there is time and it’s safe, turn off the gas supply to the home.
  • The smell of something burning means something is overheating or burning. If there is no visible fire or smoke indicating a source, it might be an electrical fire in the walls. Leave the house and call 911. Always call 911 to report any fire or heavy smoke.
  • A “fishy” smell without a fish for dinner can be a sign of an electrical fire. Get everyone out and call 911 to have the smell investigated.

In the event of a suspected electrical fire, turn off the electrical supply to the home.

Some odors are not only difficult to identify and locate, they are next to impossible to get rid of with usual household cleaning, washing, vacuuming, scrubbing and sprays. When this happens, the San Luis mold damage specialists from SERVPRO of San Luis Obispo are specially trained and equipped to locate the source and get rid of the smell. The SERVPRO team can also remove most stains.

Some of the most difficult odors and stains to clean up with do-it-yourself methods include pet accidents, odors from an illness or serious injury, mold and mildew, skunk odors that permeate curtains, carpeting and even upholstery, rodent droppings, and smoke smell that has soaked into curtains, furniture, even clothing.

While the odors themselves may not be harmful to people and pets, some substances that cause the odors or the stains might be. Some spills, such as chemicals, paint or bodily fluids from injuries or illness can cause permanent damage to furnishings and flooring if not cleaned in the correct way. Mold can also cause expensive damage if not completely removed and dried. Bodily fluids from pets, illness or injury can also carry pathogens that may transmit disease to others.

The San Luis Obispo mold damage team has all of the training, experience and industrial-quality equipment to successfully remove the source of the smell and clean, deodorize and restore the affected areas as well as the entire house.

A few of the certifications held by the SERVPRO of San Luis Obispo team include:

  • Applied Microbial Remediation Specialist
  • Water Damage Restoration Technician
  • Applied Structural Drying Technician

By identifying the cause of the odor, removing the cause, cleaning and applying the appropriate high-quality odor removal products capable of penetrating surfaces to thoroughly neutralize an unpleasant odor.

SERVPRO of San Luis Obispo
3661 Sacramento Drive Suite 4
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
(805) 541-1271

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.