-Every year local, state and federal agencies participate in National Wildfire Safety Month during May and SERVPRO of Atascadero / Paso Robles takes this opportunity to remind the community that implementing wildfire safety measures can be easy and is a wise step. Protecting communities from wildfires is the mission of public safety agencies but they can’t be everywhere and encouraging communities to join in fire prevention activities is important for everyone’s safety and wellbeing.
There are measures that individuals and families can take to help prevent wildfires and to protect themselves from a fire. Getting together with neighbors and the larger community to work on fire safety projects together is a great way to get to know our communities better while doing important work at the same time.
Wildfires are fires that start in grasslands and forests and get out of control. In certain weather conditions, wildfires can spread very fast, causing considerable damage to communities. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) reports that Western wildfires cost nearly $11 billion in 2021. The Insurance Information Institute (III) reports that more than 2 million properties in California were at “high to extreme wildfire risk in 2021.” Nationally, 4.5 million properties were identified. The risk for California was the highest in the nation.
What families and communities can do to help prevent fires and be safe include:
- Having an emergency plan home, work and the neighborhood that includes escaping and meetup locations, a food and water supply, charged cell phones and copies of important paperwork.
- Strengthen homes, properties and neighborhoods by creating at least 30 feet of defensible space that is free of debris and flammable materials. Have a hose that reaches any areas of your property connected to an outdoor water source. Using fire-resistant materials for building, renovating or repairs can also make a difference. Get together with neighbors to help strengthen everyone’s property, especially senior citizens or neighbors with health issues.
- Help create awareness and safety programs for schools and communities by working with local public safety agencies to create public awareness programs and community meetings.
- Know the emergency and safety steps to take in the event of a fire and make sure family, friends and neighbors know them, too.
The Paso Robles fire damage team reports that there are more resources to turn to for and safety and prevention advice and programs:
- Reach out to local, county and state fire agencies
- Check online sources such as gov, and Cal Fire.
- Many insurance companies have fire safety information available as well.
Safety and prevention lead the list of fire safety measures and the Paso Robles fire damage company supports every community effort. In the event of a fire, the trained team is ready to help property owners, business owners and residents recover as quickly as possible. Trained, certified and qualified to remediate and repair fire damage, the team uses industrial-strength specialized equipment and supplies to remove soot, water, odors and mold from fire damaged properties and to clean, restore and repair personal items and furnishings.
SERVPRO of Atascadero / Paso Robles is a locally-owned business, helping local communities since 2004. The team is dedicated to the highest quality of service from the beginning to the final walk-through.
SERVPRO of Atascadero / Paso Robles
7343 El Camino Real Suite 199
Atascadero, CA 93422